|Letter from the ADC
Making the Transition
On June 1, 2009, the Alberta Dairy Council Milk Container Recycling Program will come to an end as used milk containers are included in the province's Beverage Container Recycling Regulation.
Here's some important transitional information and resources for Municipalities and Recycling Authorities.
For the past ten years, the foundation of the Alberta Dairy Council Milk Container Recycling Program has been a unique partnership between the dairy industry and the more than 220 Municipalities and Recycling Authorities that collect used milk containers.
Look what we've done together!
- We've collected and recycled more than 15,000 tonnes of used milk containers
- We've brought milk container recycling services to more than 95% of Alberta's population in their local communities
- We've provided more than $2 million in market stabilization and other financial support to Alberta Municipalities and Recycling Authorities, through strong markets and weak
- We've invested more than $5 million in Communications & Education initiatives to promote milk container recycling and recycling in general
- We've sponsored ground-breaking research into consumer recycling behaviour as well as opportunities to improve recycling in the difficult multi-family and industrial-commercial-institutional market segments
- We've raised the bar on milk container recovery, achieving the highest verified recovery levels in Canada
- We've received numerous honours and awards for environmental excellence, including an Emerald Award in 2002, a Recycling Council of Alberta 'Rs of Excellence' Award in 2003 and a Growing Alberta Leadership Award in 2007
...And none of it would have been possible without the collaboration of our partners. Thanks to all of you!